Public transportation in Istanbulby Emre Ozkiper
Updated on May 2014
Public transportation in Istanbul is a crucial part of the solution to the city’s economic, energy, and environmental challenges-helping to bring a better quality of life.People are using public transportation a lot and reach to their destinations faster than any car.Officially 14 million 160 thousand 467 people are living in Istanbul.
There are buses,trams,funiculars,metros and so many alternatives that you can use to reach to most tourist attractions in Istanbul.It will be the smartest action to use public transportation during rush hours and weekend evenings.
I know it will mean nothing to you if i write the stations and lines one by one.That's why i decided to explain each one seperately.
What you need to do is just to pick one destination and click on the link below to find out how to reach there by public transportations.
How to Go From
-Ataturk Airport to Sultanahmet Area (Historical Peninsula)?
-Ataturk Airport to Taksim Area ?
-Ataturk Airport to Besiktas/Ortakoy Area ?
-Sabiha Gokcen Airport to Sultanahmet Area (Historical Peninsula)?
-Sabiha Gokcen Airport to Taksim area?
-Sabiha Gokcen Airport to Besiktas/Ortakoy area?
-Sultanahmet area to Taksim/Kabataş/Besiktaş/Ortakoy area?
-Sultanahmet area to Chora Museum & Pier Loti Hill?
You can find the detailed station list of most useful metro & tram lines below for travelers.
M1A Ataturk Airport - Aksaray Metro Line Stations
Working Hours : 06:00 - 00:00 (Week days)
- Ataturk Airport
- World Trade Center- Istanbul Exhibition Center (CNR Expo,Wow hotels)
- Zeytinburnu (interchange to T1 Kabatas-Bagcilar tram Line)
- Esenler Otogar (Coach Station)
- Kocatepe (Istanbul Forum Shopping Mall)
- Ulubatli (City Walls,Chora Museum)
Working hours: 06:00 to 00:00
- Kabatas (Funicular to Taksim,Prince's Islands Ferry Pier,Dolmabahce Palace,Bus station to Bosphorus direction)
- Findikli (Maiden's Tower boat pier)
- Tophane (Istanbul Modern Museum)
- Karakoy (Galata Tower,Funicular to Taksim,Brothels)
- Eminonu (Spice Bazaar,New Mosque,Galata Bridge,Bosphorus Ferry Lines)
- Sirkeci (Orient Express Train Station)
- Gulhane (Topkapi Palace Gardens)
- Sultanahmet (Blue Mosque,Hagia Sophia,Topkapi Palace,Basilica Cistern,Hippodrome)
- Beyazit (Grand Bazaar,Beyazit Mosque)
- Laleli (Istanbul University)
- Aksaray (Airport Metro Line,Marmaray Metro Line)
- Yusufpasa (Airport Metro Line)
- Cevizlibag (Metrobus Line)
- Merkez Efendi
- Zeytinburnu (Airport Metro Line interchange station)
- Mehmet Akif
- Merter Tekstil Sitesi
- Yavuz Selim
M2 - HaciOsman - Yenikapi Metro Line
Working hours: 06:00 to 00:00
- Ataturk Oto Sanayii
- I.T.U - Ayazaga (Istinye Park Shoppping Mall)
- 4 Levent
- Levent (Etiler Akmerkez Shopping Mall)
- Sisli - Mecidiyekoy (Cevahir Shopping Mall)
- Osmanbey (Nisantasi shopping area)
- Taksim (City center,Istiklal Street)
- Sishane (Galata Tower ,Tunel Funicular)
- Vezneciler (Suleymaniye Mosque)
- Yenikapi (Marmaray Metro Line)
- Yenikapi (Interchange to Aksaray - Atatürk Airport and Yenikapi - HaciOsman Metro Line)
- Uskudar (Asian Side)
- Ayrilikcesme (Interchange to Kadikoy - Kartal Metro)
Marmaray will be combined with Halkali - Sirkeci Suburban Line on the European part and Gebze - Haydarpasa Line on the Asian part soon...
T-Tunel - Karakoy and F1- Kabatas - Taksim Funicular Lines
A funicular, also known as an inclined plane or cliff railway,is a cable railway in which a cable attached to a pair of tram-like vehicles on rails moves them up and down a steep slope; the ascending and descending vehicles counterbalance each other.
These systems were build to help people to climb around 600 meters upto Taksim hill or to Galata under difficult circumstances such as rain and hot weather.
Sharing is caring! If you think that most interesting facts of Turkey article is useful and it can help others,make sure you share it on Facebook,Google+and twitter by clicking the link badges in the beginning of the article, so the others can reach it on the huge space of internet.And comment below will be a good motivation for me to write more helpful articles.Thanks for the supports.